The Yarra Valley Wine Region
Melbourne, Australia, is renowned for many things – Australian Tennis Open, Formula 1 Grand Prix, Motorcycle Grand Prix, AFL Football, Melbourne Cup Racing Carnival, beaches, the list goes on … And it has been voted the most liveable city in the world 7 times. Melbourne also has some of the best wineries. If you love wine, you must visit some of the Melbourne Wineries in Yarra Valley. There are literally dozens of them to choose from in this region alone, as the vineyards flourish in the local soil and climate of the area. Here I’ll tell you about four of my favourite wineries that I recommend.
Why Visit A Winery
- All wineries have wine-tasting cellar doors, usually for a small cost, or free if you’re dining there. But be sure to check the days and times that they are open. You can purchase bottles of your favourite wines direct.
- Many of the wineries have fabulous dining facilities, either casual and/or formal fine-dining restaurants. Bookings are essential on the weekends as they do get very busy.
- Some wineries cater for Weddings and other private functions. Of course, these stunning country settings lend themselves beautifully to photographic occasions.
- Many wineries have art galleries or garden sculptures on display, showcasing artwork and crafts of local artists.
- All wineries have local specialty produce for sale, in addition to the wines; such as, jams, chocolates, biscuits, sauces, chutneys and loads more.
Here are just a few of the Wineries that I personally have visited and sampled, um, for research purposes only, of course, I’m sure you understand. It’s a tough job, but someone’s gotta do it!
1. Chateau Yering and Yering Station, Melba Highway, Yering
This is one of my favourites which I have been to many times over the years and thoroughly suggest you visit. The Chateau Yering is a boutique heritage listed Hotel built in 1840. It was the location of the first vineyard in the region. The historic Hotel has luxurious suites with a touch of old world charm which make it very romantic. I love the lavish curtained bed-heads in the rooms. I felt very royal sleeping here when I stayed overnight. The formal Dining Room is delightful with its charming old world decor and silver service, whilst the cafe is perfect for light meals.
Yering Station, on the other hand, adjacent to the hotel, is a huge, very modern, architecturally designed building with fantastic views of the land. The restaurant serves contemporary french style cuisine and is always very popular.
Between the two buildings is the enormous rustic old Cellar Door barn-like building which is always bustling with people sampling the range of wines on offer. It also houses their produce shop, which is impossible to pass through without buying some delicious gourmet delicacies.
2. Coombe Farm Wines Yarra Valley, Melba Hwy, Coldstream
This is another of my favourites which was originally the home of famous Australian Opera Singer, Dame Nellie Melba, built in the early 1900’s. The Coombe Farm Wines is on 60 acres, with gorgeous manicured gardens and massive cypress hedges established 100 years ago. Tours can be booked to take you around the property and give you all the history of the place; well worth it, especially with lunch or devonshire tea.
Below are some of the delicious dishes served at Coombe Restaurant.
3. Tokar Estate Winery, Maddens Lane, Coldstream
A most idyllic location and so picturesque, that it reminds me of Tuscany. Very European indeed. The restaurant is a little smaller than some of the other wineries but is very cosy and welcoming, serving Mediterranean cuisine.
Spectacular views all around the property make it a beautiful setting for a lunch date. Or you can choose to stay overnight at “The Residence” in one of the 3 spacious suites available. What a great idea!
4. Levantine Hill Estate, Hill Rd, Coldstream
I have only been here once, but was very impressed with the surroundings and the atmosphere here. Bustling with people on a sunny weekend afternoon, inside and out, all enjoying the wine, food and views. There are two dining areas, the Signature Restaurant is fine dining and the All Day Dining Restaurant is more casual. What a pleasant location! I love this one.
Levantine Hill wines are now being served in Qantas Lounges around Australia and inflight also.
Steel sculptures by a Melbourne artist grace the lawns here for all to stroll around to enjoy and appreciate. A truly magnificent and unique location. I will definitely need to revisit this one, for further research!
Levantine Hill and Yering Station have helicopter services flying their customers to and from the venue with their “Fly and Dine” packages, which I must try next time. See the Microflite website.
Tours of Melbourne Wineries in the Yarra Valley
Here are some winery tours of the region I recommend.
Melbourne wineries in Yarra Valley are truly fabulous.
I would love you to leave a comment below.
Pin Melbourne Wineries of The Yarra Valley on Pinterest