AN ICONIC LANDMARK
ON THE MORNINGTON PENINSULA
Located on the marvellous Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, the famous Ashcombe Maze and Lavender Gardens will enchant adults and children alike. Renowned as Australia’s oldest and largest traditional hedge maze, and the location of the longest rose maze, it is certainly worth a stop on your visit to the Peninsula.
This iconic landmark is the perfect outing for the whole family. Stimulate your senses as you wander the trails and take in the diverse landscaped gardens, to appreciate nature and all its colour and perfume. Learn about the plants and history of the gardens as you go with information posted along the way.
The whole garden estate occupies 25 acres and there are many things to see and do here.
Things to see and do at Ashcombe Maze and Lavender Gardens
- Hedge Mazes – Meander through and try to find your way out of the mazes. They are made from more than 100 Cypress trees which were planted over 40 years ago and are now over 3 metres tall.
- Rose Maze – Find your way to the centre of the circular maze, the first of its kind anywhere, of 200 different varieties of fragrant and colourful roses.
- Lavender Labyrinth – A maze of 4,000 lavender plants, flowering all year round with 40 different types of Lavender.
- Woodlands – explore amongst the Oak and Elm trees.
- Fountains and water features throughout the gardens.
- Lily ponds
- A Gazebo
- A Playground and
- Garden Gnomes to search for, hidden throughout the gardens.
Interesting fact: Mazes have existed throughout history for the last 4000 years. They were used as protection from wind and wild animals, for walking and courtship, for good luck, and for the amusement of royalty and their guests in palace gardens.
The gardens’ Ashcombe Cafe is a lovely spot to take a break which serves simple meals and snacks. My friends and I ordered, satay, rice, calamari, wedges, muffins, and coffees. The food was good and the staff very friendly. There are outdoor eating areas as well.
- Located at 15 Shoreham Road, Shoreham
- approx. 1 hour from Melbourne
- open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday
- entry fee – A$18.50 per adult
- allow at least one hour
- picnics not permitted
Check website here before going.
Map of Ashcombe Maze and Lavender Gardens
You are provided with the map below when you arrive so you don’t get lost.
Accommodation near Ashcombe Maze and Lavender Gardens
Tours and activities
Other Snazzy Posts
I recently went on a long overdue girls' getaway to the beautiful country of Singapore for a whole glorious week. My friends...